Wednesday 13 April 2011

My Finished 3D Max Model


 These are some renders of my finished 3D max model. my model is some sort of alien type tank. to make my model i started off with a basic box shape for the body, I then converted the box to an editable mesh and pointed the front edge down slightly, i started off by looking at a picture of a real tank to get the basic shape, but then to make it my own model i changed aspects of it to make my model "alien-like". to make the cockpit i started off with a sphere, i then changed the hemisphere to 0.5 to make it half size. I then converted it to an editable mesh and played with the vertices to make a flat base for the top part of the cockpit to sit on. For the top part of the cockpit, i used another hemisphere, and deleted one half of it. I then highlighted the outer edges and kept extruding them untill it was a sort of dome shape, after that i extruded a couple more times but i then decreased the size untill the shape close in on itself. For the big gun on the front of the tank i started off with a cylinder, after that i converted it to an editable mesh. I then highlighted various polygons on the front and extruded them to make the decoration on the end of the gun. for the plasma cannons on the back i also started off with a cylinder, i then added a pro boolean which took out part of the inside making it partly hollow. i then extruded the end of it slightly and changed the size smaller to make it point more inwards. For the tank tracks i started off with a tube. I then turned it into an editable mesh and highlighted then end polygons. After that i extruded it several times equal distances to get more polygons in the middle. I then extruded each second polygon on the top and the bottom to make them stick out, then i moved them slightly to the side, to make it a weird sci-fi look. For the material on the tank i used a sub material called "dent". I then changed the first colour to a dark blue, and left the second colour as a dark grey, i changed the size to 200.00, and strength to 20.00, then i changed the iterations to 2. Finally to add the fog I clicked on render, then on environment. Then I added a volume fog, and changed various aspects such as: i changed the density to 6.5, the step size to 4.0 and the max steps to 100. When i was making my tank i came across some problems: As i was making the hemisphere into the stand for the cockpit i had trouble in editing the heimsphere into the shape i wanted. There was alot of vertices and i ended up with vertices under each other and it looked like a big mess, so i started again with the hemipshere, this time only editing the bottom vertices i came out with the result that i expected, and it was much better than the failed attempt before. Also when i was making my model it took me a while to get my volume fog correct. I did not really know what aspects to change to make it correct, at first the fog was too thick and so i toned the size of the fog down and my tank became visible. I really enjoyed making my model as it was a good challenge and I think I did really well with acheiving my original concept, also i did really well with overcoming the challenges i faced and even though i started some parts of the model again, It was good because i learnt what more things in 3d max do and my model came out looking really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment