Thursday 24 May 2012

Reflection Questions

For my part of the soundtrack I made a complicated dubstep music track using Cubase 5. This dubstep track contained various sounds such as modulated basslines, a synth lead and a looped drum track. To make the drum beat I used a simple kick and snare pattern and then added some high hats and cymbals to fill in the gaps in between. I then also duplicated the drum loop and changed the sound from a drum track to a bass track, so far in the music was a simple drum loop with bass that kicked in to boost the intensity of the music. To make the synth lead I used a midi keyboard with a preset synth keyboard loaded, I then made a simple 4 bar melody which silently followed the drum beat and the bassline.

My final audio mostly matches my original intentions of what I was trying to produce, as I had acheived a Dubstep music track I was pleasantly pleased with what I had produced, However I had one compromise which was being able to produce the wobble bass that is widely used in Dubstep, as I had already created a modulated bassline I thought of adding another oscillator to try and make the "womp" sound that is recognised in the bass drops, I came close to achieving the perfect bass wobble but I occured a problem which was when this wobble was placed into my drum loop it didn't fit right and made the music sound even worse so I decided to scrap the bass drop in my music and focused on a more liquidy Dubstep tune.

I think that my time management was good but could have been better, as in the first two weeks of production, I sat working on cubase mainly focusing on creating the wobble bass for the bass drop in the song, this wasted some time and I realised that if i kept trying to create this wobble, then my production time would slowly decrease more and more untill i had no time at all to create the rest of the music, so I decided in the third week to totally scrap the wobble idea and I began creating my drum track. I had a few versions of this drum track but my third version was the one that was used in the music track, as I didn't quite know what to put in my drum loop, i played around with a few kick and snare patterns untill i created the one that I was very content with.

I had quite a few struggles while creating my music track, I have already highlighted one point which was the wobble bass that I was going to create, this failed because of my lack of experience in the program, if i was more skilled with cubase I could have created the bass with some ease, but as I am only a novice in the program I had a vague idea of what Vst's and effects to use. As I knew that basslines contained oscillator's and modifiers and reverbs, I played around with a couple of these, the oscillator was the best option though, but I struggled when I turned the Lfo speed up it didn't create the sound I was looking for. My second struggle was with the sound's. As there was lots of different, drum, bass and synth sounds, during the first two weeks when I was attempting to create the perfect bass I was guessing on which sound's to use, I attempted to use a house drum beat which didn't sound anything like I was expecting, but I eventually found the drum track which was the Drum and bass drumkit.

What I found easy when creating my music track was using the Midi keyboard, as it was a very simplistic design, I grasped it's concept almost instantly, and also when I had found my chosen drum and bass sounds, it was very simple to create the drum beat as I knew that all Dubstep uses a simple kick and snare pattern with high hats and cymbals in between the bars, so it took me minutes to create the drum track when i had experimented with different patterns.

Comparing my finished audio to a professional example of music featured in a game trailer, well my music is very different as I am a fan of the electro music I thought that an electro track like my Dubstep soundtrack would fit in well with the environments we had created, in a professional trailer the music is very well almostly perfectly chosen to match the game, I wouldn't say my music perfectly matched our game trailer, because the bass I created wasn't heavy enough and so it didn't sound perfect, but in my opinion compared to a professional trailer I think it was very close.

When our trailer was launched my music soundtrack received mixed opinions, the majority of people disliked my music as it was not to their taste and said it was too loud and drowned out the voice-over in the soundtrack, however they applauded my effort and said I had done a good job in creating the music, they also thought that the music got repetitive, I agree with the comments about the repetitiveness, because my music track was merely a looped track, it eventually got repetitive at the end of the trailer, whereas if I had been able to create the wobble bass, then my music track would have sounded much better because of the fact that the drum beat builds up at about the usual time of 50s. In most Dubstep there is a huge brutal bass drops which stops the song from being repetitive because as the song progresses there are more and more bass drops which increase the ingeniuty of the song keeping it from getting repetitive.

I think if I was to produce this music track again, it would be alot better as my skills in cubase have improved since making the music for our game trailer. For a start I would make my drum track not repetitive, because the music had no bass drop, the drum loop started to ger repetitive around the end of the trailer. To change the drum track I would add more high hats to remove the gaps in-between the bars, I would also take out some of the double snares because this was the point that was making the music repetitive. once I had taken out the double snares, i would tweak the kick drums by changing the pattern. Also if I had to make my music track again I would add a kick drum building up to the bass drop, I would then have made a brutal bass drop using oscillators and modifiers, and the drum beat would change to a simple kick and snare pattern, there would also be a modulated bassline sat underneath the bass wobbles to enhance the intensity of the music. These changes in my music would make it fit the trailer much better, and would stop the repetitiveness of the music, which would in the end product I would receive positive feedback about my music soundtrack.


No comments:

Post a Comment